Thursday, November 22, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving!

Well, today of course is Thanksgiving back in the US. And I just wanted to take a moment to write here about all the things that I have to be thankful for:

I am thankful to have the best family I could ever hope for, both immediate and extended, who love me and raised me to be the person that I am today.
I am thankful to have been born and raised in such a beautiful and highly cultured city.
I am thankful to have all of the amazing friends that I have back in the US, who love me for who I am, and care about me.
I am thankful to have been brought up with two homelands, which has motivated me to explore other cultures and lands throughout my life.
I am thankful for AFS, the amazing organization which made it possible to realize this dream of mine, for fostering cultural exchanges and promoting peace since the 1940s.
I am thankful to AFS Egypt and AFS Alexandria in particular, for making the adventures that we have had so far and will still have in the future exploring this beautiful country possible, and for organizing fun events and such for us to participate in.
I am thankful to the people of the Global Leaders scholarship, who were able to take the edge off of my tuition and make it even more possible for me to come here.
I am thankful that I was so easily and readily accepted into the country that was my first choice, fulfilling this dream of mine that I have had since age twelve.
I am thankful for my incredible host family, the beautiful people that willingly volunteered to take me in for a year, for opening their home and hearts to me. I adore them.
I am thankful for the amazing friends that I have here in Egypt, AFSers, returnees, and schoolmates alike, who have already given me incredible memories to cherish my whole life, and are always there for me.
I am thankful to my friends in Taymour specifically for making going to school worth it in the hard first days, when I was feeling so alone and in the dark.
I am thankful that I decided to learn Arabic for such a long time before I came, which has made it SO much easier for me to communicate with the people here.
I am also thankful that Palestine and Israel have come to a ceasefire agreement.
I am thankful for all that I have, as I am very lucky to have it.
And I am thankful for choosing to come to this amazing country.

No comments:

Post a Comment