Friday, March 14, 2014

TÜRKİYE!

So I'm not one to type in all caps with a boatload of exclamation points, but....

I AM A FINALIST FOR TURKISH AND I'M GOING TO BURSA, TURKEY FOR LIKE SIX WEEKS THIS SUMMER AND I'M SO HAPPY AND SO EXITED AND AHHHH DFMHESPLNHOIPGDNIPMHGIFHFGIMGPHMDIHG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, and now that little public service announcement is over. Please return to your regularly scheduled Internet activities.

Today, after school, I was standing in a circle with a group of my best friends, laughing and talking normally, when my phone buzzed.
Just like the moment in which I got my semi-finalist notification back in December, it came at a moment in which I was NOT expecting it at all.
I pulled out my phone and casually checked it, thinking it would be nothing more than a meaningless Facebook notification or a "we're here" text from my carpool waiting outside. But instead, it was an email from NSLI-Y, and though I couldn't make out the entirety of the message, the sentence fragment "you have been selected..." was clearly visible.
I gasped out loud, frightening my friends quite a bit, and then, as my heart began to pound like a brass drum, I proceeded to download the attachment so that I could actually see where I had been picked to go, and saw that it was Turkey. :)

I will be studying Turkish in Bursa for six weeks this summer, from about June 23 to August 11.

That's about all I can say at the moment, no more information to report, really.
But if I notice any, I'll tell you all about it for sure.

For now, I just want to say: to NSLI-Y, to the State Department, to American taxpayers, to everyone that made it possible for me to make it this far: thank you all so much from the bottom of my heart for giving me this opportunity to make yet another of my many dreams come true. Çok teşekkür ederim!

And thank you guys too, for following my adventures from home to Alexandria and back, and now to Bursa. :)
Expect more from me, now that I know I'm going for sure.
I may even start making YouTube videos or something! Who knows...
But güle güle for now.
-Nico :)




                                     
                                     A fitting song.
My favorite Turkish song. 

No comments:

Post a Comment