Monday, January 5, 2015

Happy 2015, a cool holiday themed video, and AFS Project Change!

Hey guys!

Sorry that it's been several months since my last post. Things have continued to be a bit busy with my senior year and all, especially last month with the insufferable stress of midterm exams.
Now, I've just gotten off of two weeks of vacation, I've finished all my college applications (more about that in a future post, hopefully), and am feeling quite rested and calm for the most part as I dive back into the last three weeks of my semester. :)

Since I took a temporary hiatus of complete and total relaxation over the holidays, happy belated holidays/2015 to everyone! :D
As a little belated holiday treat, I wanted to share something holiday-related that I found with you all that I think is really, really wonderful.
I'm a big fan of the pretty well-known a cappella group Pentatonix, and one of my favorite songs of theirs is a cover of the song "White Winter Hymnal" that they performed on their latest album, "That's Christmas to Me." (Sidenote - I own both their Christmas albums, and was blasting them pretty much every time I got behind the wheel of a car the entire month leading up to Christmas, starting the day after Thanksgiving - I really love the Christmas season, in case you couldn't tell. xP)
A few weeks ago, I found a video on YouTube on the channel of a Korean a cappella group called DIA (Do It A cappella) that they made covering the Pentatonix version of "White Winter Hymnal," but rewritten with Korean lyrics based on a traditional Korean folktale.
I thought that it was beautifully executed, that was an ingenious way to showcase some interesting bits of Korean culture, and that it was just all-around awesome, so I figured I'd share it with you all. ^_^
Also, before I go, an important little public service announcement:
In my last post, where I discussed various exchange programs and scholarships in detail, I mentioned the AFS Project Change scholarship, in which 8th-12th graders were invited to create ideas for volunteer projects to implement on AFS programs.
Well, the deadline was December 7, and now the twenty finalists that have made it this far need your help! Check out the link that I posted above, view all their projects, and vote for your favorite by this Friday, January 9, to help give these incredible young leaders opportunities to travel abroad, live their dreams, implement their amazing projects, and make a real difference in the world.
Honestly, I was completely blown away by these projects, and I'm sure you all will be too. I will be incredibly happy for and proud of any of these kids if they get to go and implement their projects.
I also think it's neat to mention that one of them is from my hometown, and actually goes to my sister's high school! Small world, isn't it?

Thanks as always for reading, everyone.
Be back soon (hopefully),
Nico

No comments:

Post a Comment